UPDATE 5/13: Hey folks, we got hacked. Deadline extended, vote in our new-and-improved, more secure poll by 11:59 p.m. May 14!
It’s May, but we’re still getting doused with April showers. And it wasn’t that long ago that we were still getting hit with snowstorms too. And you know what? The bikers kept biking and the walkers kept walking — even when cars were stuck in the snow and schools closed down because the roads were supposedly impassable.
We asked our readers to send in their best pictures of biking and walking in the rain and snow, and the results are magical. The hushed winter wonderlands, the soggy but happy rides — great images that capture how active transportation connects us to the elements, even when the elements aren’t at their most favorable.
We need your help to pick two winners in our Showers & Snow photo contest, sponsored by Ortlieb and co-presented by the Alliance for Biking & Walking. Vote below for your favorite picture and the top two vote-getters will win free sets of waterproof Ortlieb panniers and bike bags!
Polls close at 5:00 p.m. Eastern time on Monday, May 12. The winners will be announced the next day.
1. “Blizzard 2013,” by Todd Consentino:
2. “Got Fenders?” by Chris Chaney:
3. “Walking toward the Capitol in a snowstorm,” by Joe Flood:
4. “Viking Biking,” by Liz Patek:
5. “Two Scarves are Better Than One,” by Lily Monster:
6. “Upper East Side, New York City” by Joanna Smith:
7. “Ciclovia in Bogota, Colombia,” Risa Sibbitt:
8. “Blizzard Walker,” by Corey Templeton:
9. “Snow cyclist on Madison Av,” by Joe Flood:
10. “Starting off 2014 with a Blizzard morning commute, January 3, Brooklyn,” by Taylor Reiss Gouge: