Skip to Content
Streetsblog USA home
Streetsblog USA home
Log In
Minneapolis

Driver Who Plowed Into Minneapolis Protesters Won’t Be Charged

The guy in the driver's seat won't be charged. Image: KSTP.com
Jeffrey Rice, 40, drove into a crowd of protesters in Minneapolis in November, injuring a 16-year-old girl. He will not be charged with a felony. Image: KSTP.com
The guy in the driver's seat won't be charged. Image: KSTP.com

Hennepin County prosecutors will not charge the driver who plowed into a Minneapolis street protest late last year, injuring a 16-year-old girl.

Widely circulated footage shows Jeffrey Patrick Rice of St. Paul on November 25 driving into a crowd protesting the failure to indict Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson for killing Michael Brown. Rice, 40, told police the crowd had damaged his car and he was attempting to flee the scene. Police reports originally referred to Rice as the "victim." The girl in the video suffered minor injuries, according to reports.

"After reviewing all of the facts from the police investigation, prosecutors determined that the actions Mr. Rice took did not reflect intent or actions that constitute a crime that could be charged," the Hennepin County Attorney's office said in a statement released last week.

The statement, naturally, refers to the ordeal as an "accident." Because Rice stopped a mile away and notified police, prosecutors say he was not in violation of the state's hit-and-run statute. They completely sidestep the fact that Rice was recorded intentionally driving his car into a crowd, which could potentially constitute assault with a deadly weapon.

The statement does say the door remains open for Minneapolis city officials to charge Rice with a misdemeanor.

Stay in touch

Sign up for our free newsletter

More from Streetsblog USA

Friday Video: Get Thee To Ghent

The Belgian city banned cars from its inner core in 2017 — and it's working!

April 4, 2025

Friday’s Headlines Hit the Brakes

New administrations often reverse policies, but rarely do they go after money already allocated like the Trump administration is doing, Grist reports.

April 4, 2025

US DOT Doesn’t Want to Fund Road Diets Anymore

One of America's largest road safety programs will look "unfavorably" on applications that reduce lane capacity for vehicles – even in urban areas where there's nowhere else to build bike lanes, sidewalk extension, and other sorely-needed infrastructure.

April 3, 2025

Talking Headways Podcast: Planning Connections in Panther City

Fort Worth's Kelly Porter on the city's city’s history, incredible growth and Texas high-speed rail.

April 3, 2025

Thursday’s Headlines Ask for Privacy

Under the Elon Musk administration, private investment might be the only way forward for intercity rail, but it's not as if such ventures have it easy.

April 3, 2025
See all posts